Internships are an extremely valuable opportunity for students, colleges and the Sheriff’s Office. We want to help our future leaders become successful in the classroom and in their careers.
The internship program is a very important one and is sought after by many students. The students who intern at the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office provide a considerable service and long term professional relationship with us that are an excellent resource for HCSO and for the students and colleges.
It is important that the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office supply effective and efficient service. As an intern, you will be given the opportunity to go to different areas within the department and see how we operate in making Hampton County a better place to live and work. You will be given the opportunity to offer input into the Department’s operations that will help us provide the highest standards of service possible.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to working with you.
Sincerely, Sheriff T.C. Smalls
Before we can start the intern process we ask that you provide us with several documents supporting your intentions and what you desire to gain from an internship with the Hampton County Sheriff’s Office.
First, we require a letter from your college or university stating how long your internship will be and what duties you are to fulfill while working with our department.
Also, you will need to obtain a detailed copy of your college or universities requirements if you are seeking to gain academic credit for your internship (example: minimum number of hours you must complete while interning with us and perquisite courses that you must take prior to your internship)
After you have acquired the following information please attach with it, a resume and a cover letter that includes a personal statement of why you have chosen The Hampton County Sheriff’s Department as a potential agency to intern with. (some of the following may not apply):
- A copy of your unofficial transcript.
- One copy of your Birth Certificate.
- One copy of your Drivers License or school ID.
- One copy of your High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
- One copy of your DD214 if you have served in the military.
- One copy of your Social Security Card.
- Please also provide references as requested with telephone numbers where they can be reached between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm, Monday through Friday
- Interns are required to go through a three (3) to four (4) week process before starting your internship.
The process will include the following:
- Interview with Hampton County Sheriff’s Department staff.
- Filling out an application.
- Having a background check done.
- A polygraph test.
We do ask that our interns are able to do an internship with our department for at least a minimum of a semester and that you complete an exit questionnaire prior to receiving your final timesheet/completion paperwork for your class. The different areas within the department you will rotate through include but are not limited to:
- Victim Services
- Community Services
- School Resource Division
- Gang Unit
- Criminal Investigations Division
- Different Regions within Hampton County
- Community Action Team
Again we thank you for your interest and we look forward to meeting with you soon.